Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Godspell Jr. performance at my Church

I saw all 3 Godspell Jr. performances at my Church last weekend and they were very good. My daughter was in the play and it was performed by junior high children from our Church and Catholic school. If some of you are not familiar with Godspell, it is a musical from the late 60s about the Gospel of Matthew done in a hippie/modern setting. As a parent that has most of the Veggie Tales videos ( Christian videos that have a lot of silly recreation of bible stories), I can appreciate attempts to modernize and make the Gospel easier for children to understand. I believe that if Christ had come at our time, he would be reaching out to the youth in a similar way as the Jesus character in Godspell - I even imagine that he would pick his 12 apostles from Catholic youth that probably wouldn't be the clean cut type. Jesus didn't come for those that are already devout, he came for those on the fringes, those who were struggling with their faith and wanted to do good but fell short. He called them to new holiness and he calls all of us even today to new holiness, so if Godspell can interest young people to the Gospel message then it is for God's goodness. I know it already has borne fruit because my daughter has been able to encourage some of the youth in the play to come to Church more often and to attend youth catechism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>