Thursday, April 07, 2005

My parish's Memorial Mass for Pope John Paul II

I attended my parish's Memorial Mass for Pope John Paul II and it was a very nice Mass. I really enjoyed the readings picked for the Mass, though I do not know who picked them. First reading was from Isaiah 41:8-13. Second reading was from 2nd letter to Timothy, chapter 4:1-8. The gospel was from John chapter 21:15-17.

Here is Isaiah 41:8-13
8But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, offspring of Abraham my friend--
9You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth and summoned from its far-off places, You whom I have called my servant, whom I have chosen and will not cast off--
10Fear not, I am with you; be not dismayed; I am your God. I will strengthen you, and help you, and uphold you with my right hand of justice.
11Yes, all shall be put to shame and disgrace who vent their anger against you; Those shall perish and come to nought who offer resistance.
12You shall seek out, but shall not find, those who strive against you; They shall be as nothing at all who do battle with you.
13For I am the LORD, your God, who grasp your right hand; It is I who say to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Pope John Paul II was indeed God's servant and he heard God's voice as he always told people "Be not Afraid" because John Paul II knew that God was with him and is with us. God strengthened him and helped him and he was victorious over nay-sayers.


Here is 2 Tim 4:1-8 :
1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who willjudge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingly power:
2proclaim the word; be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient; convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience and teaching.
3For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers
4and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths.
5But you, be self-possessed in all circumstances; put up with hardship; perform the work of an evangelist; fulfill your ministry.
6 For I am already being poured out like a libation, and the time of my departure is at hand.
7 I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith.
8 From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed for his appearance.
If that doesn't sound like modern times, I don't know what does - people finding their own teachers and going away from truth and follow myths. And who did what Paul asked? Of course, Pope John Paul II and he also did what Paul did. He put up with hardship, he was an evangelist and fulfilled his ministry and kept proclaiming the truth. He finished the race and competed very well and of course kept the faith and is now rewarded by the Lord, a place in heaven.

The gospel reading is when the glorified Jesus asks Peter three times, do you love me? Then feed my sheep. As Pope John Paull II is a direct descendant of Pope Peter, Jesus also asked John Paul II the same thing, and John Paul did feed his sheep even though he was a sinful man just like you and me (yes, Popes are sinners too, hopefully not very good sinners :) . The Pope's main job is to feed his (Jesus') sheep. I think all would agree that John Paul II did that in abundance.

We should all pray that the new Pope will embrace these three scriptures and be the Servant of God who preaches the truth and feeds the flock with truth and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>