Sunday, May 28, 2006

Great story about Fr. Tom, priest for 64 years, still going strong

I read this story in the online Arizona Republic today ( I lived in Arizona for almost 10 years while in High School and College) about Fr. Tom who is still working as a priest after 64 years. This was a heartwarming story and I wanted to share it with others. This seems unique now but I bet in the future we will see more priests working in their late 70s and early 80s just because of the priest shortage and also because some men are not becoming priests until their 40s or 50s so I am sure the Church will ask them to continue in working until they can not due to health. At my parish, there is a mature priest that comes to say daily Mass once a week and the daily Mass attenedants love him like a grandfather, he gets a little flustered some times but his mind is pretty sharp and his homilies are very nice. Back to the article, I liked the fact that Fr. Tom listens to confessions every day and I think that would be a great trend that should continue, older priests concentrating on listening to confessions (as long as they can hear well :)
If people knew that a priest was available every day for confession, I think there would be more people coming in for confessions.

Here is the story in the Arizona Republic (I used to deliver that paper when I was in high school on my bike):
Fr. Tom article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>