Saturday, July 01, 2006

Fr. Quinn, Jesuit - Army Chaplain

When I got married, my parish was run by Jesuits and two of the younger Jesuits that my wife and I knew were witnesses to our Sacrament of Matrimony. One of these priests, Fr. John Quinn, has done quite a few things in his life since then (Jesuits are famous for having very wide ranging vocations) like teaching photography to High schoolers, maintaining a web site, and other things. He was there at the Pentagon the day after 9/11 to help with comfort and sacraments. I just found out today though, that 2 years ago, he decided to be an Army Chaplain for the soldiers in Iraq. He is from a military family and was a Marine before he joined the Jesuits. He is there not to defend the war or our reasons there, but he is there to give comfort to the Catholic soldiers that need a priest for Sacraments.

Here is an old article that tells of his reasoning for going into the chaplaincy (I am getting it from Google's cache since the web site does not have it):

old article



Here is a web article about his life as an Army chaplain in Iraq:
Fr. John Quinn - Army Chaplain


I applaud Fr. John Quinn, for his great work in Iraq and for his willingness to serve there even though I know he isn't a big fan of our latest military. God bless you fr. John, you are a tribute to your order.

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>